AtoMag™ Magnetic Molecular Models
Magnetize your molecular models with neodymium rare earth magnets.
All you need are 5x5mm neodymium rod magnets and atoms.
Safety rules prevent us from selling assembled models but professors can build them for their own use.
Warning: These are not toys; assemble with glue and keep away from children.
Do cyclohexane chair-boat flips, quick & easy illustrations of chirality, branched chain alkanes & glucose isomers & more.
This page lists some of the ways we have used magnets with Molymod model parts to create magnetized molecualar models for:
- Best representation of cyclohexane chair-boat flip
- Build any branched chain alkane instantly
- Simple & elegant way to teach basic IUPAC nomenclature
- Show chirality with fast switching between enantiomers
- Convert glucose to any of its related conformers quickly
- Demonstrate concept of cis & trans isomerism in a flash
- Show surface chemistry reactions such as sputtering
- Change tacticity in polymer conformers in seconds
How to Build Your Own Magnetic Models
- Stack all the 5x5mm neodymium rod magnets so poles face the same way.
- Mark one end to denote "N" (arbitrary; do for consistency).
- Turn half upside down so unmarked "S" is facing upwards.
- Line up all N magnets in one row, all "S" magnets in another
- Press 2 of each polarity into the 4 hole carbon atom
- If done correctly, 2 each "N" & 2 unmarked "S" should be showing.
- Repeat for as many atoms as you need.
- Works best on 2 & 4 hole atoms.