The color chart has ranges for sanitization
(50-200ppm) & disinfection
is considered the maximum
level for child safety
in the event of ingestion.
You can use our free Chlorine Bleach Dilution Calculator
to take out the guesswork.
to correctly calculate the amount of bleach & water needed to prepare the ppm levels indicated above. This calculator will allow for any concentration of chlorine bleach to be used to prepare a sanitizing/disinfecting solution but in this instance the video shows an 8.25% solution diluted to produce 650ppm (the midway point of 500-800ppm for disinfection as shown on the color chart).
Note: the video below has references to our original domain, indigo.com. Please ignore and bookmark us at www.indigoinstruments.com.
You may also want to look at the following 2 pdf files from the State of California for "Sanitize Safely & Effectively" & "What is Safe & Effective Use of Bleach"
- Strips come in desiccant lined bottle that absorbs moisture once opened.
- Best used within 6 months of opening.
- Guaranteed 2 year shelf life but can last 5 years if unopened.
- These strips measure free (available) chlorine
- The number of strips (100) per vial is approximate.
Test Strip Documentation
The following table shows how much bleach is needed to make up different concentrations of disinfectant based on an initial concentration of 5% (most store bought bleach sold in North America is rated at 5.25% but loses strength with time).
- Choose a container large enough to hold the final amount of diluted bleach you want to make.
- Measure & pour into the container the amount of 5% (initial) chlorine bleach you need.
- Fill the container with water to the level of the Final Volume.
- For concentrations other than 5%, use our Dilution Calculator to determine what you need.
- If you are unfamiliar with millilitres (mL), you can use this Metric to American volume converter.
- If you don't have the exact measuring tool, round up not down. i.e. for 47.5ml use a 1/4 cup.
|Amount of 5% Chlorine Bleach to Make Final Volume
||225ml (US cup)
||950ml (US Quart)
||3.8L (US Gal.)
You can view the structure of the chemical indicator for this strip by clicking on: 3,3’,5,5’ – tetramethylbenzidine.
Easy use of website, Quick delivery. Great customer care.
Happy to help with the testing needs of your company.
We operate an Adult Daycare program and our local supplier, for these strips, stopped carrying them in the strength we needed several years ago. I found Indigo online and we get fast, efficient service with good pricing. Website is very "User Friendly". Very satisfied with this Vendor.
Excellent website, and quick delivery.
Very happy with service.
I ordered this product for my child care center. The order arrived quickly and the product worked well.
— Sr. Paul Mary