NaCl Magnetic Bonds
This NaCl (sodium chloride) molecular model uses neodymium magnets in place of standard bonds. The parts used are listed in the Related Products section.
To build this model exactly, you will need 13 of one of the atoms and 14 of the other. The model as shown uses 6 magnets per atom for a total of 162 magnets. Assembly instructions are below.
For each Related Product, enter the quantity you would like to order and click the Add to Cart button beside the item.
Note that magnets and atoms are both choking hazards. Do not leave around for young children to play with.
Assembly is straightforward as long as you are consistent in how you mount the magnets.
- separate the magnets so the same pole faces upwards (a simple compass is helpful but not essential).
- mark the top surface of each magnet with an ink marker.
- choose the atom that has 14 of the same color (you other should only have 13 of the other).
- dab a bit of glue such as contact cement or hot gun glue into each of the six holes of the atom.
- line up the hole up with a magnet & press so it inserts fully. Some will be a tight fit, others looser.
- repeat so all the holes are filled. (the ink mark on the magnets should not be visible)
- turn the remaining magnets over & repeat the steps using the atom that has 13 of the same color.
- repeat so all the holes are filled. (the ink mark on the magnets should be visible)
Assemble into a cube or any other shape. If you have mounted the atoms correctly you can only attach a green atom to a silver atom.
Click here for related information or imagesCVD, Magnetic NaCl,
|60610E||Atom, Molymod, grey, (metal), 6 hole, octahedral, 23mm||13|
|60612E||Atom, Molymod, green (halogen), 6 hole, octahedral, 23mm||14|
|61012E||Bond, Molymod, grey (single), 20mm||54|