NaCl CVD Model
This NaCl (sodium chloride) molecular model uses a neodymium magnet in one hole of each of atoms. The parts used are listed in the Related Products section.
You will need:
For each Related Product, enter the quantity you would like to order and click the Add to Cart button beside the item.
Note that magnets and atoms are both choking hazards. Do not leave around for young children to play with.
Assembly is straightforward as long as you are consistent in how you mount the magnets.
- separate the magnets so the same pole faces upwards (a simple compass is helpful but not essential).
- mark the top surface of each magnet with an ink marker.
- choose atoms of 1 color
- dab a bit of glue such as contact cement or hot gun glue into one of the six holes of the atom.
- line up the hole up with a magnet & press so it inserts fully. Some will be a tight fit, others looser.
- repeat so all the atoms of 1 color have one magnet with the ink mark not visible
- turn 32 of the remaining magnets over & repeat the steps using the 32 atoms of the other color
- repeat so one hole of the atoms have one one magnet with the ink mark on the magnets visible
- Assemble into flat structure using the plastic bonds. Arrange with alternating colors.
- you should have 12 magnets left. 6 will be used with red atoms & 6 with the white
- use 2 magnets per red atom & ensure both have the same ink marked pole pressed in so it is hidden
- turn the remaining 6 magnets over so you cannot see the ink mark
- use 1 magnet per white atom & ensure the ink marked pole is visible on the magnet
- assemble the water molecule with plastic bonds so that 2 white atoms are attached to each red atom.
Click here for related information or imagesCVD, Magnetic NaCl,
|60610E||Atom, Molymod, grey, (metal), 6 hole, octahedral, 23mm||13|
|60612E||Atom, Molymod, green (halogen), 6 hole, octahedral, 23mm||14|
|61012E||Bond, Molymod, grey (single), 20mm||54|